Sunday, October 3, 2010

Swedish Pancakes

Breakfast for Dinner has always been my favorite. My children agree, nothing beats pancakes, eggs and juice any time of the day. Sometimes that Sunday morning breakfast just isn't enough to satisfy the pancake craving. So, when my oldest son started weeknight Hebrew School I decided to make those nights "Breakfast Night". After a long day, the menu is easy for me and he, along with his brother, look forward to pancakes, scones, waffles or bagels when they come home. Every week I make something different, but one of their favorites is Swedish Pancakes. These crepe-like pancakes were my favorites growing up, too. On Sunday mornings my dad would make "Sunday Breakfast". Nothing got me out of bed faster than the wonderful smell of pancakes permeating through the house. He didn't limit his Sunday Breakfasts to eggs and toast. We were treated to Freach Toast, German Pancakes (aka Dutch Babies) and these wonderful Swedish Pancakes. In Oregon, there is a restaurant that serves them with butter, powdered sugar and lingonberries...yummm!

When the kids ask, "What is for breakfast night?" I get the fist pumping "YES!" when the answer is "Swedish Pancakes".

I hope you enjoy them too.

Happy Cooking,
Christine






Swedish Pancakes (Dairy)




4 eggs*

1 2/3 cup milk*

1 cup all-purpose flour

4 teaspoons sugar

2/3 teaspoon salt


In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in milk and then dry ingredients. Batter may be lumpy*.

Pre-heat 10 inch non-stick skillet over medium to medium-low heat. Using a cube of butter, lightly coat the bottom of the skillet.



Pour 1/3 of a cup of batter in the skillet. Tilt the pan as necessary to cover the bottom of the skillet with batter. Cook until the edges and a majority of the pancake is dry on top. Turn the pancake over and continue cooking another minute or two.




Turn the pancake onto a plate, roll up and sprinkle powdered sugar over pancake.


Re-coat the skillet with butter and continue the process with the remaining batter.


Makes 10 (10-inch) Swedish Pancakes.


*Notes: No matter how much you beat the batter, it will be lumpy. However, the flour will dissolve in the cooking process. You can reduce the amount of flour lumps by starting with the eggs and milk at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. I think my family will like them so I will have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe! Its full of protein and a great substitution for morning pancakes.

    ReplyDelete